Thursday, March 13, 2008

Birding in Panama

Well, entering into the world of blogging in earnest, I find myself snug in my bed after a great day of birding in the highlands of western Panama.  I have been in Panama for nearly three weeks now, and have had all sorts of exciting sightings.  During my visit, I was able to finally connect with three long time nemesis birds of mine - Pheasant Cuckoo, Speckled Mourner, and Spotted Rail.  The rail created quite a stir as it turns out, since it has been a while since this species has been seen in the country.  All of the local birders have been out to see them now.  This afternoon had a bittersweet moment.  While enjoying a plethora of wonderful highland birds, I watched a Black-and-yellow Silky-Flycatcher come crashing into a glass window nearby, and witnessed its death minutes later while nestled in my hands.  

No comments: